Now Available: Let’s Go! Ten Adventures Through West Central Minnesota
Free copies of West Central Initiative’s region-focused children’s book available for families with young children
(Fergus Falls, MN) — April 12th, 2022— West Central Initiative released its region-focused children’s book titled Let’s Go! Ten Adventures Through West Central Minnesota. The book is free to families in west central Minnesota with children five years old and younger.
West Central Initiative’s Director of Early Childhood, Nancy Jost, was inspired to create Let’s Go! after being shown a children’s book about Minnesota. “The book was beautiful,” said Jost. “But it didn’t represent our region of Minnesota—our beautiful lakes, trees, cultures, and communities. So, I shared the idea of creating a similar children’s book but specific to our region with our team, including our Early Childhood Initiative Coordinators.”
Fast forward three years, and 7,000 hard-cover copies of Let’s Go! Ten Adventures Through West Central Minnesota are ready for distribution.
“Our Early Childhood Initiative Coordinators partnered with their communities to develop themes that represent our region,” said Jost. “We took special care to ensure the book was true to the people and places of west central Minnesota.”
Visit wcif.org to view opportunities throughout west central Minnesota where families can receive copies of the book. The organization’s goal is to distribute one book per family with young children.
“Some children were lucky enough to get a sneak peek of the book,” said West Central Initiative Early Childhood Specialist Marsha Erickson. “They were inspired to play outside, explore their surroundings, and wanted to learn more about other cultures. That was our hope. Mission accomplished.”
Get your family’s free copy at these events:
- Becker County: Family Storytime at Lake Agassiz Regional Library in Detroit Lakes on April 9, 10:30-11:30 a.m., and through early childhood programs.
- Clay County: Kids Fest in Moorhead on May 14.
- Douglas County: in Brandon-Evansville on April 14 and at Woodland Elementary and Early Childhood Center in Alexandria on April 28.
- Grant County: 13th Annual Grant County FUN Fest & Expo at the Ashby Public School on April 30, 9:00 a.m.- Noon.
- Otter Tail County: Fergus Falls Public Library Story Hour on April 23 and Family Concert at the Kirkbride Campus in Fergus Falls on May 14.
- Pope County: Family Storytime at the Glenwood Public Library on April 7 and at Kid’s Day in Glenwood on June 4.
- Stevens County: Garden Party Gala at the Children’s Garden in Morris.
- Traverse County: Child care providers and schools.
- Wilkin County: Child care providers and schools and Breckenridge Public Library.
We strongly encourage you to attend the child-friendly events listed above in your area. If you’re unable to receive a copy of the book at an opportunity listed above, you may complete the form below. Quantities are limited, and priority is given to families of young children in our region. If we have books available after the initial distributions listed above, we’ll contact you. Thanks for your interest in Let’s Go!
About West Central Initiative
West Central Initiative (WCI) is a regional community foundation and an economic development organization serving the nine west central?Minnesota counties of Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse, and Wilkin and a portion of White Earth Nation. Through philanthropy and planning, WCI fuels insight and action for the benefit of our region and our world. Since 1986, WCI has provided more than $55 million in loans and $65 million in grants to businesses and organizations. Learn more at wcif.org.