(St Paul, MN) — August, 2022 — What began in 1948 with 37 boys exhibiting sheep and swine has grown into an expansive show with opportunities for FFA members from more than 200 chapters across the state to participate in livestock and non-livestock competitions. Special programs and exhibit highlights will commemorate the State Fair’s partnership with FFA.
- Kickoff Program for 75 Years of FFA at the Minnesota State Fair
- Celebrate the history of FFA at the fair with a special proclamation and remarks from state and local leaders (Friday, Sept. 2, at 7 p.m., outside Compeer Arena)
- Recognition of FFA Legends From 1948 to Today
- Honorees who will be recognized include Legacy FFA Show families and chapters; FFA advisors; show staff; and past recipients of the D.K. Baldwin Award, the highest FFA honor awarded at the fair. Baldwin advocated for the FFA show initiated in 1948 and was the State Fair’s general manager from 1951 to 1962, during which the FFA show experienced significant growth. (Saturday, Sept. 3, at 6 p.m., at the Christensen Farms Stage)
- FFA Parade of Champions and Awards Program
- In addition to recognizing the 2022 FFA Supreme Champions in several livestock categories, as well as this year’s student exhibits, this program, sponsored by Bremer Bank, will honor families that have exhibited in the FFA shows for three generations or more. (Monday, Sept. 5, at 10 a.m., in Compeer Arena)
Exhibitions displayed throughout the fair include agriculture technology and crops in the Agriculture Horticulture Building; landscape design & construction showcased on the east side of the CHS Miracle of Birth Center; and new this year – agricultural interactive exhibits/demonstrations at the FFA Chapter House & Leadership Center at select times. Competitions held Sept. 2 to 5 include beef & dairy cattle, swine, sheep, meat goats, judging contests and safe tractor operation.